Tuesday, September 18, 2007

On Clowns

I met two clowns this morning. They confided to me that they are part of a clown ministry. That is to say they spread the teachings of the Gospels through clown antics and pantomime. I said that this was the silliest thing I’ve ever heard. With knitted brows and clown fingers, they scolded me and proclaimed that I was a savage and in need of salvation. I told the two clowns not to incite me to rage. As I said this, I raised a hand to strike one of them. They froze in terror. But in that moment, I saw their clown splendor and magnificence and realized that I could not bring myself to hurt a clown. When they regained mobility, they turned to cross the street. But as they stepped from the curb, a large truck, hurtling faster than seemed possible, ran over the clowns.

No comments: